The Jewish Quarter[/fusion_title]
From the time of the destruction of the Second Temple, Jewish settlement in the Old City moved from place to place, until some 600 years ago, it took root in the area where it is today. At the beginning only a few families lived in the Quarter, but over the years their numbers grew so that by the middle of the 19th century many of Jews from the Old City were obliged live in other Quarters of the city, because of lack of room in the Jewish Quarter. With the beginning of Jewish settlement outside the city walls in 1860, there occurred an erosion in the status and importance of the Jewish Quarter, and its population gradually diminished until the city fell to the Jordanians in 1948. For 19 years the Jewish Quarter stood empty of Jewish residents, but was repopulated after the Six Day War.