The Rockefeller Museum
The Rockefeller Museum is a history and archaeology museum that is situated opposite the north wall of the Old City. The museum has many important historical exhibits from the area of Jerusalem and from the whole of the Land of Israel.
The Museum has a particularly special building that is regarded as one of the finest in Jerusalem. The Museum was built from contributions of the American philanthropist, John D. Rockefeller Jr. and was named after him. The Museum was inaugurated in 1938 when it served as the official museum of the British Mandate and housed the offices of the Antiquities Department of the Mandatory Government.
After the War of Independence the Museum was in Jordanian territory and was managed by a scientific board of directors, but was nationalized by King Hussein in 1966. In 1967, in the Six Day War, there was much hard fighting between the Israel and Jordan armies close to the Museum. After the unification of the city at the end of the war from being an independent museum it became an extension of the archaeology section of the Israel Museum. Today it also houses the Jerusalem District offices of the Antiquities Authority.