Armon Hanatziv Hills
The Armon Hanatziv Hills lie to the south of the Old City and their summit is some 800 metres above sea level. The hills are called after the Mansion House of British High Commissioner that was built there in 1931. Some people associate this area with the point from which Abraham first saw the Mount of Moriah when he came up from Beer Sheva intending to sacrifice his son, Isaac in what is referred to in the Bible as “the land of Moriah”. In Second Temple times an aqueduct was quarried through the hills (known today as the “Lower Aqueduct”) to bring water from Solomon’s Pools, close to Bethlehem, to the Temple Mount and the Temple. In the Six Day War, it was here that the fighting began between Jordan and Israel and after the Commissioner’s Mansion had been recaptured by Israeli troops, it was from here that the Jerusalem Brigade set out to retake the Old City.